15 de jul. 2009

vmware, Failed to lock the file! VMWare virtual disk (vmdk)

Failed to lock the file! VMWare virtual disk (vmdk)

I copied one of my Windows XP virtual machine running on a VMWare Server 1.02 host locally to my workstation. After the files were copied I opened the vmx file with VMWare Workstation 6 and received the error below after trying to start the virtual machine. I made one snapshot on the VMWare Server host.

Cannot open the disk ‘C:\VM-machines\Windows XP-001\Windows XP Professional-000001.vmdk’ or one of the snapshot disks it depends on. Reason: Failed to lock the file.

clip_image002

Locate the virtual machine in Windows Explorer and delete any .lck folders

image

Start the virtual machine. If this fails try to Map the virtual hard disk to Z:\

image

clip_image008

I than disconnect the virtual hard disk and retried. The virtual machine boot without any problem; my snapshot was valid.